An emergency bag is a bag that you can grab when you need to leave your house in a hurry and you need to bring basic necessities with you. Emergency bags are useful in many more situations than you might think. There does not have to be a nuclear war, total economic collapse, or a zombie apocalypse. There doesn’t even have to be a hurricane, blizzard or volcano. Many more mundane emergencies or unexpected situations can be much easier to deal with if you are prepared with a basic emergency bag.
What Should You Have In Your Emergency Bag?
1. All your information regarding insurance, car, house and medical. A complete list of all the medications you take, how many milligrams and how often. Names, addresses and phone numbers of all insurance agents, doctors, close friends and relatives. List of all medication and food allergies.
2. Three days worth of all medication that you take. Extra eye glasses, contacts, hearing aids or other device you use on an ongoing basis
3. A change of clothing, including socks and undies
4. Travel sizes of personal hygiene items such as a toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, hair brush, etc.
5. Flashlight – a small handheld flashlight and extra batteries
Cree 7W 300LM Mini LED One Mode FlashlightCheck Price
6. Roll up Water Bottle – These bottles flatten and roll up to take up very little space.
Water Bottle – 16 Ounce Flexible, Reusable, Collapsible Water Bottle (Red and Blue, 2 Pack)Check Price
7. Radio – battery operated and also hand crank.
ENHANCE Rechargeable 7-Band Emergency Radio with Hand Crank , Loud Siren , Flashlight and AM/FM/WB Modes – Perfect for Survival Kits for Earthquakes , Hurricanes , Tornadoes , Storms , Floods , Power Outages and More Emergency SituationsCheck Price
8. First Aid Kit – a general purpose first aid kit with asprin, band aids, ointments, etc.
Adventure Medical Kits Family First Aid KitCheck Price
9. Emergency Blankets – mylar blankets reflect body heat and weigh almost nothing.
Emergency Mylar Blankets – 84Check Price
10. Swiss Army Knife – this knife has many tools that come in handy in many situations.
Victorinox Swiss Army Huntsman II KnifeCheck Price
11. Protein Bars – in case you need food
Nature Valley Peanut Butter Protein Bar, Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate, 7.1-Ounce (Pack of 4)Check Price
12. To be of help in real physical emergencies, you may want to add the following:
Paracord Planet Nylon Core 550lb Type III 7 Strand Paracord Made in the U.S.A. Over 200 Colors Available!Check PriceStrike Anywhere MatchesCheck PriceRite Edge Guthook/Hatchet Combo Knife SetCheck Price
There are many other things that you can add to what I have listed, it really depends on what emergency you are preparing for. As I said before, you do not have to be preparing for a terrorist attack on the electrical grid, these bags are great for many emergencies that are much more likely to occur, such as:
- Sudden hospital trips – If you have to take a family member to the hospital, due to an accident or illness, grab your bag and theirs. If you end up having to stay at the hospital for a long while with your family, wouldn’t it be nice to have a change of clothes, personal hygiene items, a water bottle and food with you? Not to mention your insurance information and list of all medications? It will also be nice to have a change of clothing for your family member to wear home from the hospital, if their own clothing was cut off, or dirty or ripped.
- Sudden need to get your child or children out of the house for the night – If something happens, in or around your house, like someone has a gun, or someone has had too much to drink, or a person is acting crazy or threatening, you can grab your bag and your child’s bags and get out quick and you will have everything you need to stay at a friend or relatives house, or a motel until the problem is settled.
- An emergency out of town, for work or personal reasons – No need to waste time packing, just grab your bag and go.
- A friend or relative has an emergency – Grab your bag and toss it in the car. Now you are ready for anything, even if you end up being away from home for a couple of days.
- A neighborhood evacuation – If the authorities show up at your door, insisting you leave right away, everyone in your family grabs their bags on the way out. If you end up at a temporary shelter, think of how much better you will feel having hygiene items, food, clothing and a radio.
- You have a house fire – even if the fire is not that large, it will contaminate much of the stuff in your house. There is a good chance the items in your bags will be uncontaminated and you can take your bag with you and have undamaged items to use when you get to a motel or a relatives house.
- You decide that you want to take a day trip with your family to the woods to hike and enjoy nature – Everyone brings their bags, and you have everything you need, even changes of clothing for accidents.
I could easily name a dozen more situations where having an emergency bag would come in handy or be a total lifesaver, but I am sure you get the idea. The best bag to choose is a back pack. I would avoid camouflage, and go with something dark in color with lots of pockets. My recommendation is:
High Sierra Fat Boy Backpack (Black)Check Price
I like this bag because of the padded sholder straps and connecting cross straps. It is comfortable and roomy.
I hope I have convinced you that it is very advisable to have a packed emergency bag for each member of your household. It can help you in so many situations!
Share with your friends